COVID-19 – Cigna
Please see Cigna’s website for their latest information on the impact of COVID-19.
For answers to some of your FAQs, see below.
Cigna Global Health Benefits – key updates
- Recorded webinar – Updates on the various Cigna activities undertaken to support clients, latest developments of the outbreak with a focus on what activities employers should be focusing on and summary of FAQ’s.
International health – medical evacuation
The process of undertaking medical evacuations that cross borders has become increasingly challenging during the current global COVID-19 outbreak. Many countries have increased restrictions for entry with some closing borders completely.
Insurers continue to cover emergency evacuation under the terms and conditions of the policy should a member’s condition require medical facilities not available locally. However with the current restrictions and controls in place by the various governments, the evacuation process is being impacted.
As you would expect there are additional processes in place which typically include;
- Screening of patients to include tests for respiratory symptoms or fever, member contact history, COVID-19 testing and travel history.
- There are increased restrictions for healthcare workers escorting patients adding additional challenges.
- The admission process for receiving facilities is also highly monitored and managed. Bed availability is becoming increasingly limited with the increased pressure on global health systems and isolation requirements for incoming patients.
- Cigna has removed cost-sharing and co-payments for COVID-19 in-network treatment until 31 May 2020. For fully insured clients, there will be no additional cost for the coverage extensions.
- Cigna has announced free access to a web-based triage tool for COVID-19 to members.
Although medical emergency evacuation remains an eligible benefit, with the current situation all cases are heavily scrutinised, with additional consideration of the global restrictions impacting decisions for evacuation strategy.